How is HIV rapid test performed?
Clean fingertip with alcohol and prick with a lancet. Get a small drop of blood with EDTA capillary tube. Transfer the sample to the test strip and apply one drop of Chase Buffer. Result of the test can be read after 20 minutes.
- Performing HIV test using a rapid test kit
- The testing procedure may vary with different test kits
- Take out the test strip from the package and place it on a flat surface
- Clean the fingertip with alcohol pad and allow to air dry thoroughly
- Puncture the fingertip with a sterile lancet
- Wipe away the first drop of blood with sterile gauze
- Collect blood sample by using the EDTA capillary tube (until the sample reach the area between 2 black markers)
- Apply a sterile gauze to the puncture site until the bleeding stops
- Place the tube onto the test strip and transfer all the blood to the sample pad
- Apply one drop of Chase Buffer to the sample pad
- Wait for 20 minutes and read the preliminary result
- Results will be displayed on the device window (Result will be invalid without control line)
- Rapid test is only a screening test. Any positive rapid test result should be followed by confirmatory test of venous blood conducted by a laboratory
- AIDS Hotline 2780 2211 - The Department of Health provides free and anonymous HIV testing All information is kept confidential
- In Hong Kong, the Department of Health and non-governmental organisations operate HIV testing service for different target populations
- Last update: 2019 | All Rights Reserved
- Please note: Rapid test is only a screening test. Any positive rapid test result should be followed by confirmatory test of venous blood conducted by a laboratory.